Monthly Archives: September 2013

Gutting an NES

Last week I bought an NES off of eBay.  I paid a whopping $10 for it!  It didn’t include any of the power or TV cables, but that didn’t matter to me because I planned on gutting it for my retro machine.

It took me a couple of days to find a screwdriver that could open the thing up.  The screws are standard screws, but the screwdriver needs to be really thin to get access to the screws.

Here is it opened up

2013-09-09 18.30.58







2013-09-09 18.33.58








2013-09-09 18.37.45 2013-09-09 18.37.31













Once all the parts were taken out of the NES I sealed it back up so I wouldn’t lose the screws.  Here it is empty.

2013-09-09 18.37.05







And all sealed back up…

2013-09-09 18.45.19







Now I just need to find a Dremel tool to cut the insides apart so I can fit my PC in there.

Until next time…..





ColecoVision is up and running

Hey there,

After spending a few minutes on it I was able to get colecovision up and running.

If you ever encounter an issue, the Coleco systems require a bios file to run. It’s easy enough to find, but it just needs to go on the correct location.


Here’s Donkey Kong running.

Next up I’m going to tackle Intellivision.


Just got 2600 up and running

I got some amazing 2600 USB joysticks from Curt Vendell a few months ago.  I thought they would be amazing for my new game console.

2013-09-03 00.39.32

Problem is, while they are terrific for playing the game, they don’t work for selecting the game options.  I didn’t see this coming, but of course there are a lot of physical buttons on the base consoles, and how can those be replicated on the controller?  This seems like it will be the biggest problem with the Atari 2600.

Should I add a keyboard/mouse combination to my retro console?  That seems a little ‘not faithful’ to the original console concept.

What to do?  What to do….


It’s a start

I finally got all the windows xp updates installed, along with all the various drivers for the Intel Atom d510. That certainly took awhile!

The next step was to get as couple of systems emulated. The first thing I did was install Arcade Maximus – it’s the same frontend I used for my arcade machine and it works great.

After getting that setup I wanted to take it slow. The first thing I installed was 2600 support — which represents the low end of what I need. Once I got that up and running I went for the high end of my system, the n64. I really just wanted to make sure that my Intel Atom could handle it and sure enough it could.




So next up I need to get all the systems working with my keyboard.

I also ordered an old nes system off eBay so I can begin the hardware modifications.

Once that’s all setup I’ll start ordering the controllers. Very exciting, but keep in mind this is going to be a long project; most likely a couple of months.

That’s all the news that’s fit to print for now!